Friday, March 13, 2009

The King's Chessboard by: David Birch

Genre: Multicultural Literature


This book is a great way to incorporate literature and mathematics into the same lesson. For my response, I had to first figure out the the wise man's formula in the book: each day the grains of rice were multiplied by two. I then created an Excel file and listed 1-64 in the first column for the number of squares in a chessboard. I then inserted the formula (SUM(B1*2)= in B2 and dragged the formula to the last number. In the program Comic Life, I created 64 individual squares and filled in every other square with black so that I could create a "chessboard". For each square I created a text box and wrote in each of the calculations. Through this activity, I learned more about the program Excel and the mathematical formula used in the book. It also made the book more meaningful for me since I could see how clever the wise man's plan was (he received ALOT of rice in the end!)







No comments:

Post a Comment